Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"TAKE UP AND READ!" INTRODUCING REGINA WINEWATER, NEW ROMANTIC AUTHOR


                                                       
"Then romance entered the world, and all of our troubles began..."
                                                            


“Take up and read!” –Heard by St. Augustine while deep in agonized prayer, as revealed in his spiritual autobiography, The Confessions


“I heard you making patterns rhyme
  Like some new romantic looking for the TV sound
  You’ll see I’m right some other time.”
                                             --Duran Duran, “Planet Earth”


I don't wish to dwell too much on my identity, because I'm a big believer that the tale is far more interesting than the teller, and that the latter really needs to get out of the way, putting herself aside so that the former can truly spring to life. For our purposes, however, let me reveal just a few things about myself: I am a devoutly religious wife and mother living in Winnipeg, Canada. I have worked for years in the field of education, and have long held aspirations of becoming a published author. 

Until now, most of my writing has been done in furtive journal entries and occasional "letters to the editor," which I have undertaken whenever I am able to catch a breather from the hectic events of my day-to-day life. In the last year or so, however, I have found a surge of inspiration, which I can only attribute to the Author of all inspiration. May He always bless my writing, and may my writing always strive to glorify Him.

I am interested in writing about the intersection of love and faith. Like many women, I am drawn to the romance genre. However, I am largely dissatisfied with the general trends one finds in this field today. If mainstream romance is glutted with novels that are lurid and trashy (and to my mind, hardly "sexy" at all), the species of "Christian" romance goes to the opposite extreme, being largely bland and bloodless in its depiction of the interactions of men and women. Moreover, as many people wiser and more learned than me have observed, a conspicuous “dumbing down” process has occurred among the general populace, leading to a diminishment in the literary quality of novels generally. Lovers of romantic literature used to have magnificent works like Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre to read, but now Fifty Shades of Grey, and others of its ilk, are the new, unfortunate norm.


My aim in writing is to restore blood to the bland, faith to the tawdry, and depth to the shallow. If you are looking for romantic works depicting the intense viscerality of carnal desire, the unbearable anguish of spiritual suffering, the unspeakable joy of gracious redemption, and the exquisite literacy of our magnificent English language, then I invite you to “take up and read” my work!

No comments:

Post a Comment